About Melon HK
Melon HK is a non-profit organisation that aims to be Asia's Leading Science Fiction and Fantasy conference. It is being held in Hong Kong and is being held for the first time this year. The first day of the event will be an industry conference which brings together world-class writers, filmmakers, publishers, game developers, investors, distributors from the Science Fiction and Fantasy industry. The second day will consist of author events at schools and public venues to bring writers to the young people of Hong Kong. We have already confirmed a number of award winning writers from US, UK, China and Hong Kong, including Hugo Award winners Jo Walton (Among Others) and Hao Jingfang (郝景芳, Folding Beijing). Other confirmed writers include Lavie Tidhar (Central Station, Violet Century), Andrew Bannister (Creation Machine, Iron Gods), Stanley Chen (Vision of the Abyss, The Waste Tide), Curtis Chen (Waypoint Kangaroo), Xia Jia (夏笳, The Demon-Enslaving Flask) and Anna Wu (吴霜, 雲霧). For those who are interested in Sci-Fi/Fantasy, literature, creative industries, event management and/or marketing, this will be an invaluable opportunity to meet these top writers.
What you will be doing
We are looking for volunteers to join the team to help put together this event! Spoilt Events has been retained for the event management Melon HK and so all Melon volunteers will be working with the Event Director(s) from Spoilt. We expect you to roll your sleeves up and help us put together a great event. Here are some of the projects you might be involved with:
- Meeting and escorting speakers between sessions and between venues
- Welcoming conference delegates, media and other guests. Anwsering any questions relating to Melon
- Event venue setup and cleanup
- Interpretation from English into Mandarin and/or from Mandarin into English
- Copywriting / Translation for the event website and event program
- Design for the event website and event program
- Monitoring Melon's social media channels and posting updates (Facebook, Twitter, Weibo)
Who you are
- Excellent language skills in English, Mandarin and/or Cantonese
- Love Science Fiction and/or Fantasy
- Great team player and eager to contribute to the Melon team
Anything else you need to know
- This position is voluntary and therefore unpaid. However, we will provide meals, transportation and reimburse any costs incurred by Melon in the preparation and duration of the events.
- The event is scheduled for April 18-20 2017. You should be available on these three days and be able to attend an event briefing in the week starting April 10th.
- Additionally we are looking for volunteers who may also able to contribute to the preparations of the event between February - April 2017.
- All volunteers will receive a certificate of contribution. Top performers may also receive a recommendation letter which can be used for subsequent academic or career endeavours.